Bill Simmons is an ESPN.com writer who, I think, coined a phrase years ago to refer to actors who aren't big enough stars for you to remember their name, but you certainly remember their faces. (For the sake of not sounding sexist, I'm sure there's a "That Gal" category too. :)) For example, you may not remember the name of the "evil" coach in The Mighty Ducks, but if you saw him in another movie you would say, "Oh! It's that guy!" For the record, he was also: the prosecutor in My Cousin Vinny, corrupt senator Dick Dodge in The Distinguished Gentleman, the father in Son in Law, in Red Dawn, and has appeared in over 100 movies. (ps his name is Lane Smith and why did I use him as an example? I have no idea).
Anyway, yesterday over lunch, I think I saw the best "That Guy" episode of Law & Order ever. The suspect was the sonar operator from Hunt for Red October (Courtney B. Vance), who's lawyer was Chevy Chase's boss in Fletch (Richard Libertini) and a second defense attorney was Bunk from The Wire (Wendell Pierce). I don't see how that could be topped!
I think I should stop going home for lunch and watching Law & Order... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was all set to leave a comment, but your last line of the post said it for me.
Post a Comment