Early this afternoon I got a call from my co-coach who said he would be unable to make the game tonight due to a non-serious family emergency. That means I get to coach by myself for the game versus Edina in a few hours. Very exciting.
Before our game, I scouted a team from Forest Lake, a potential first-round playoff opponent. They were playing Blaine and made short work of them. In the first 15-20 minutes, Forest Lake had scored 5 times and hit the crossbar once. It's hard to get any scouting accomplished when one team walks all over the other. I decided to put Blaine out of their misery...by leaving quickly.
At our game, the scouting I did earlier in the week paid off. We focused on attacking the weak defender and crashing the net to pressure their keeper. We went up 1-0 early on a rebound goal by one of our guys who hadn't scored all year. We scored again quickly after a great run up the left side by our tall, speedy striker. He got behind the defense, collided with the keeper who saved his breakaway chance but the ball bounced to another player who scored on the open net. Unfortunately our speedy striker was hurt pretty badly on the play, rolling his ankle in the collision. The USA Cup medical staff attended to him quickly and it turned out to be a strained ligament that would surely keep him out a few games.
In the second half, we put another three goals on the board (including one from another player who hadn't scored all year) and didn't give up any serious chances. Overall it was another excellent game and a very fun one to coach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment