Friday, May 25, 2007

Coaching

Well last night was my first real attempt at coaching soccer and it was exactly like I expected: painful. Painful, but not because of the team, or that we lost 3-0 - I wanted to be out there! Sure, it was under 15s and I probably couldn't pass for a freshman in high school...but that didn't stop me from wanting to play lol. Can you blame me? I haven't played in a month! (My right achilles is saying, "I hate you and if you start playing, I'm gonna snap!")

Seriously though, as I said here yesterday, I wasn't sure if I could pass on what I see to the players and that was 100% true. I saw some fundamental things they need to work on (poor communication, poor marking on D) but it was hard to articulate it. I tried to learn the kids' names quickly but I couldn't match the play on the field with the player's name or face so I could talk to them about it on the sideline. I really need to make it to a practice soon. (I might have to miss softball next Wednesday...*gasp*)

Under-15s is a great age to start coaching. The kids are tough, know the basic fundamentals, and are able to understand strategies. That combination is perfect because there are lots of things to teach them that you couldn't if they were younger.

Anyway, it should be a lot of fun. By the end of the game I was really getting into it. I think this will be a great opportunity for me to get some coaching experience and I'm pumped.

No comments: