Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Movie Reviews

I thought I would start off by describing my complex movie ranking system:

5/5: I loved the movie, probably own it, and could watch it again at any time and enjoy it.
4/5: I really liked the movie, would like to see it again and would probably buy it.
3/5: I liked the movie and would watch it if I caught it on tv (assuming I ever fix mine).
2/5: I didn't like the movie but it wasn't THAT terrible.
1/5: I want my two hours back and somebody owes me an explanation as to how they got funding.
0/5: This is reserved for The Avengers. I have yet to see a movie with big-name actors that was so painful to watch and made so little sense.

On to the reviews!

1) Eddie Izzard: Glorious (3/5)

More stand-up from Eddie Izzard. It wasn't as good as Dressed to Kill, but still funny. A few times I realized I had missed the last few jokes so I had to go back a minute or two...I should stop doing other things when I watch a movie I'm not 100% in the mood for. :)

2) Babel (2/5)

After one good review and one bad review, I went into this one with mixed feelings. :) The bad review was from my brother and since Netflix says our movie tastes are 97% similar, I should have assumed I'd feel the same way.

With a movie that revolves around a series of plotlines (like Crash), I like to see them connect in an unexpected or clever way. If the stories in this movie did, I missed it. The only connection I saw was guy 1 gives guy 2 a gun, guy 2's kids shoot woman with the gun. I never got sucked in and there were two whole stories I didn't care much about. Yes, life can be tragic and difficult, but I've seen movies like that many times. This one didn't do anything "new" and never made me feel like I wasn't watching a movie.

3) Spider Man 3 (2/5)

I wish I had two more hands so I could give this movie four thumbs down. Ok, it wasn't that bad, I just felt like using the Chappelle line. If you haven't read any reviews and still plan on seeing it, set your phasers to "meh." I thought the dialogue was bad throughout the movie and the acting was atrocious in the first third of it. The only reason it got "better" was because there was more action in the second and third...thirds.

If you've seen these, what did you think?

No comments: