Friday, June 1, 2007

A beautiful day for soccer...

My team of Under-15 boys won their first game last night, 9-0. Their opponents didn't play very well, but much better than the score reflected.

They still have a lot of things to work on: everybody ball-watches waaaaay too much and the defensive marking is still bad and a good team will absolutely pick them apart. However, they played really well offensively, made some necessary improvements in communication, and had a much-needed "fun" game.

The one thing I'm frustrated with is getting through to one player in particular. He's a physically gifted kid with serious wheels, but he reacts poorly to everything I say (both good and bad). I'm not sure what to do about it besides keep trying and keep my comments as positive as possible. He can be a really, really good defender if he just learns a few more basic things.

Anyway, they're 1-3 now and hopefully will keep up the momentum!

No comments: